Why Fall Prevention
Falls among older adults are serious business! Studies indicate that:
- In the U.S., more than one third of adults 65 and older fall each year. 20%-30% suffer moderate to severe injuries such as bruises, hip fractures, or head traumas.
- Fall injuries can make it hard to get around, limit independent living, and can increase the risk of early death.
- A fear of falling may cause people to limit their activities, reduce mobility and physical fitness, and increase falls risk.
- People 75 and older who fall are four to five times more likely to be admitted to a long-term care facility for a year or longer after injury
- During 2004 In Napa, nearly 500 older adults were hospitalized from falls.
- Costs related to falls among older adults in Napa Valley reached $17 million in 2004.
Safe home environments, physical activity that maintains and strengthens balance and mobility, good nutrition and addressing health issues that may contribute to falls risk are important in supporting quality of life and reducing risks for falls. Falls risk assessment and early intervention programs can help seniors prevent falls and injuries.
Call StopFalls Napa Valley at 707.255.5328
OUR MISSION The mission of StopFalls Napa Valley is to prevent falls among older adults in Napa Valley and support older adults to maintain strength, independence and quality of life.